What does a lawyer do?

A lawyer is a person specially trained to assist people with their problems and disputes within the confines or the statutes and laws of the land. How these problems and disputes are treated by the legal system also is influenced by judicial decisions that may not be codified by law. There are many different areas of practice within the law. It may be helpful to find an attorney who practices and has experience and understanding of your particular type of problem. Call Lord & Associates today at 612-333-LORD if you have a legal problem and we can help.

Can anyone practice law?

To qualify to practice, attorneys must first complete three years of law school education, pass an extensive examination and be licensed by the state in which they practice. Most, but not all, licensed attorneys also belong to their local and/or state bar association.

How do I find the right attorney?

Lord & Associates, will work diligently to fulfill your legal needs. In the event that you wish to further inquire we will be able to refer you to satisfied clients who have had our firm help them under similar circumstances. If we are unable to take your case, we will try to work with you to find the right attorney to help you.

Can I receive a free consultation?

In most instances, we are available to discuss your concerns on a preliminary basis without cost to you and we provide free consultations for all personal injury matters. Call us immediately at 612-333-LORD.

How Do Personal Injury Attorneys Get Paid?

In circumstances where people have been injured by the acts or fault of others the Minneapolis, St. Paul, Minnesota Personal Injury Attorneys at Lord & Associates will agree to take the case on a contingent fee basis. That means that our office will be paid a percentage of the compensation we collect for you. This is a common practice in cases where people who have been injured and may be unable to work and not able to fund their case. The contingent fee covers the salary and benefits of the support staff and and lawyers and all the costs and expenses in running a law office such as rent, insurance and other typical business expenses. In other words, our attorneys will not get paid a dime until you get paid. Also, in most cases, if the contingent claim is not resolved, you will not be asked to pay for any of the case expenses incurred.

Why is a contingent fee advantageous?

The contingent fee arrangement is something of an equalizer which makes it possible for an individual with limited resources to make a claim against a person or organization with greater financial resources with which to defend themselves. However, contingency fee arrangements are not allowed in divorce cases. If you need assistance with a family law matter, expungement or medical licensing defense, our law firm requires a retainer fee upfront and our work is billed on an hourly basis.

When do lawyers work on an hourly basis?

In other types of cases like Divorce, Professional Licensing Defense, or Expungments, work is done on an hourly basis with the client paying for the attorney’s work by the hour and also for the case expenses as the case progresses. Your attorney at Lord & Associates will explain to you any obligation you may have with respect to the advancement or reimbursement of the actual out-of-pocket expenses that are involved in the proper preparation and processing of your legal claim. You should discuss and agree to any fee and expense arrangements in advance and in writing.  Usually this is done through what is called a Retainer Agreement.

Should there be an attorney-client agreement in writing?

It’s a good idea. A written agreement helps avoid misunderstandings and protects all parties. Be sure to read the contract (retainer agreement) before you sign it; if you don’t understand a provision, ask your attorney to explain it before you sign. Make sure the contract states the terms of the agreement and does not contain blank spaces. And be sure to keep a signed copy for your records. At Lord & Associates we will only work for you if we have a signed retainer agreement.